This growth and popularity had the original 1800 sq.ft. building bursting at the seams. There was a need to expand programs, provide for increased computer availability, and offer space for more classes and for meetings of such groups as the Ignacio Historical Society and book discussion groups. The Summer Reading Program for children had to meet in the park for lack of space.
In 2004, the Library’s Board of Trustees initiated a campaign to construct a new, larger building. The Board visited other recently built libraries in the Four Corners region and secured the services of a building designer, Dale Hoover, to create a conceptual design for a new 11,000 sq.ft. library. In 2005, after an information drive mounted by the Friends of the Library, the voters approved a ½ mil levy increase which would finance a $2 million bond issue to fund the new building. The town of Ignacio donated the old site to the Library District and the Board purchased an adjacent lot.
Exciting times followed. Architect Dave Anderson of Andrews and Anderson, Golden, Colorado, was hired to further refine the design and provide construction specifications. Jaynes, Inc. was selected as General Contractor, and Marty Zwisler, a local construction expert, was hired to monitor the building process and advise the Library Board during construction. The Library moved to temporary quarters and the old building was demolished.